Stone Cottage was built in 1840 and is located in Ross in Tasmania’s historic Midlands. Originally it consisted of only three rooms but has now been extended over the years and now includes three bedrooms, TV room, lounge, kitchen, laundry and bathroom. The large country-style kitchen has an electric stove, refrigerator, freezer and microwave. A reverse cycle inverter provides both heating and cooling for a large proportion of the cottage. The cottage can comfortably sleep seven people. In the three bedrooms there is a queen, double and a single bed with day beds in the living area that convert into two more single beds.
Ross was named by Governor Macquarie in 1821 and was one of the first sites selected for a town in Tasmania. The village’s pride is a magnificently carved bridge over the Macquarie River which was built by convict labour and opened in 1836. There are a total of 40 historic buildings in Ross of which no fewer than 22 are located on Church Street.
Ross is only 40 minutes south of Launceston or an hour and a half north of Hobart by road and is conveniently placed for sightseeing around Tasmania.