The Oatlands Court House is an historic Georgian building in Oatlands, in the Tasmanian Midlands. Oatlands is an hour’s drive north of Hobart (79 kilometres/49 miles) and 90 minutes south of Launceston (115 kilometres/71 miles).
Built by convict labour in 1829, the Oatlands Court House is the oldest supreme court house in rural Australia and the oldest building in Oatlands. This fine example of a Georgian public building was originally constructed as a combined Chapel and Police Office. It was purchased by the National Trust in 1977.
Oatlands has the largest collection of sandstone buildings in a village setting in Australia. The town’s authentic colonial character is reflected in 87 original sandstone buildings along the town’s main street. Some of the more significant buildings include the Oatlands gaol (1835), Commissariat’s store and watch house (1830s) and officers’ quarters (1830s). The Callington Mill (1837 is the third oldest windmill in Australia.