The Heritage Highway Museum and Visitor Information Centre is at Campbell Town, in Tasmania’s northern midlands.
It is the halfway point between the north and south, and is an ideal place to meet for a picnic or lunch. The Heritage Highway Museum is housed in a working court house (c.1905) and over time has been used not only as a court house but also as a police station, library, council chambers and a solicitor’s office.
The museum contains local history of the Midlands area including a film projector built between 1930/1935, Keans Brewery brands, used in the local brewery between 1846 – 1855, musical instruments, band music, photos and uniforms from the Campbell Town Brass Band which started in 1844. The museum also has a wireless dated approximately 1924, designed and built by Igrame, England.
Campbell Town is on the Heritage Highway between Launceston and Hobart. It is about 45-minutes’ drive from Launceston (70 kilometres/43 miles).