On Australia Day 2012 the Avoca Museum and Information Centre (AMIC) was officially opened by Mayor Kim Polley.
The 106 year old heritage listed building was restored by Greater Esk Tourism (GET) to promote the beautiful Fingal Valley region as the “Valleys of Adventure”, offering mountain climbs, bush walks, waterfalls and the world’s tallest white gums.
The old State School opened in 1908 at a cost of 348 pounds, and in 1929 there were 73 pupils enrolled. Prime Minister Joe Lyons visited the school in 1936, the year the wireless set and electric power were installed.
A new school was built in 1951 and the CWA used the old building for many years but it fell into disrepair and suffered years of neglect until GET successfully obtained $193,000 from the Urban Renewal and Heritage Fund, TCF, FRRR, Arts Tasmania and other bodies to fund the work, with volunteers completing the restoration.
A very active AMIC Committee has now restored the Cenotaph in Boucher Park and recommenced annual Anzac Day services in 2013. New gym equipment, picnic tables and trees have enhanced Boucher Park. AMIC includes the old school atmosphere, regular exhibitions and visitor information, and monthly markets attract visitors.