Runnymede is an elegant colonial homestead situated in New Town, just an eight-minute drive north of Hobart CBD (enroute to MONA).
It was built around 1836 for Robert Pitcairn, the first lawyer to qualify in the colony and a leading campaigner against the transportation of convicts from Britain.
When Captain Charles Bayley bought the house in 1864 he named it Runnymede after his favourite ship. The Bayley family lived in the house for the next 100 years. Now dedicated to marine conservation, the house as a large collection of whaling and maritime items.
The historic garden features many historic trees and plants.
The house and gardens are accessible by guided tour (bookings advised) and there are also public and private events held at Runnymede throughout the year.
See the new strolling theatre production ‘Take Tea with Harriet’ from the creators of Louisa’s Walk, which is presented daily at 1630 (from November 28th 2014).