The Rosny Historic Centre is a cultural centre, gallery and museum on Hobart’s eastern shore. Located at Rosny Park, the Centre is a 10-minute drive (five kilometres) from Hobart’s central business district.
The Centre includes the Schoolhouse Gallery, Barn and Cottage Museum. The Gallery is a replica of an 1890s-era Tasmanian schoolhouse, and is the only public gallery on Hobart’s eastern shore. The Schoolhouse Gallery features exhibitions of contemporary and community art and historical displays. The sandstone Barn was built around 1815 and is one of the oldest buildings of its type in Australia. The Barn was redeveloped in 2006 as a visual and performing arts space for an ongoing series of concerts, exhibitions and workshops. The Rosny Farm Cottage, built around 1850, houses the Rosny Collection. This collection of realia forms the bulk of the Rosny Cottage display which has been designed as a representation of colonial life.
The Rosny Historic Centre is located on the site of the historically significant Rosny Farm – a nineteenth century walled farmyard and the oldest homestead on Hobart’s eastern shore. Rosny Farm also operates an education program and school holiday workshops for local school students, incorporating history, science and the arts.