Anglesea Barracks in Hobart, built in the 1800’s, now houses the Australian Army Museum of Tasmania.
Governor Macquarie ordered these barracks built when he visited the colony in 1811. When the last British regiment left Tasmania in 1870 the buildings were variously used as a school, reformatory, a home for old women and a gymnasium. With the federation of Australia in 1901, the barracks became Commonwealth property and passed back to full military control, in which they have remained ever since.
The Australian Army Museum of Tasmania is located in the Military Gaol which was builit in 1847. Volunteers operate the Museum, which interprets the colonial period when the Brittish Army occupied the site.