The Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts is one of LINC Tasmania’s Heritage Collections. It includes nationally significant holdings of Tasmanian colonial paintings. It also contains photographs, rare books, manuscripts and English and European decorative arts and furniture.
The Allport family originally settled in Tasmania in 1831 and played a significant role in Tasmania’s artistic, cultural and social development. Work by Mary Morton Allport (1806-1895), one of Australia’s earliest notable female artists, features in the collection. Her son, Morton Allport (1830-1878), was a scientist, naturalist and one of Tasmania’s earliest photographers, and her granddaughter, Curzona Frances Louise Allport (1860-1949) was also a painter.
Cecil Allport (1858-1926) began the collection in 1899. He and his son Henry Allport (1890-1965) were historians, connoisseurs and collectors. Upon his death in 1965, Henry Allport bequeathed the entire collection to the people of Tasmania as a memorial to the Allport family.