About this Event
On 1 July 2019, the Australian Government introduced a new and simpler Charter of Aged Care Rights. The new Charter places the consumer, a person receiving aged care services, at the centre of their care by supporting them to express their needs and recognising their fundamental right to be treated with dignity and respect.
Providers are responsible for supporting consumers to understand their rights under the new Charter, and ensure consumers or their authorised person are given a reasonable opportunity to sign a copy of the Charter. This presents an important opportunity for providers to deepen their engagement with consumers and change the way that care is experienced by older people.
About this event
Advocacy Tasmania and Older Persons Advocacy Network are hosting this free interactive educational event to inform consumers, carers and families, and providers about the new Charter of Aged Care Rights. The event will include a focus on Home Care and the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.
By attending this event you will learn:
- What are rights
- What are the 14 consumer rights in the new Charter of Aged Care Rights
- Key changes and rationale for change, including alignment with the new Aged Care Quality Standards
- Benefits of the changes for both consumers and providers
- Charter implementation requirements and timelines
- What does signing the Charter mean, and the consumer’s right not to sign
- What is aged care advocacy and what support is available
- What resources are available to assist with understanding the Charter and supporting conversations
Further information about this event
- Please RSVP via the ‘Register’ button above. If you are unable to register via this event page, please phone 1800 237 981 8am – 8pm (AEST) Monday to Friday. When you register please let us know if you have any special accessibility requirements, we will do our best to accommodate your needs
- A complimentary light afternoon tea and refreshments will be provided
- There is a multi storey car park next door, which costs $2 per hour
If you need to contact OPAN about this event, please email: [email protected]
For further information about the Charter please visit: opan.com.au/charter or phone the OPAN Charter Information Line on 1800 237 981 8am – 8pm (AEST) Monday to Friday.
Who is Advocacy Tasmania and Older Persons Advocacy Network?
Advocacy Tasmania is a Tasmania based service delivery organisation within the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN). OPAN provides free, confidential and independent advocacy support, information and education to older people, families and carers across Australia. OPAN’s knowledge, expertise, relationships and geographical reach supports thousands of aged care consumers of Australian Government funded aged care services to understand their rights and have a voice in exercising them.
For further information about Advocacy Tasmania, please visit: https://advocacytasmania.org.au/
For further information about OPAN or to request support of an advocate please visit: https://opan.com.au/advocacy/#what_is_advocacy or phone 1800 700 600 8am – 8pm (AEST) Monday to Friday.